March 12, 2009

To Facebook or not to Facebook, that is the quetion!

So I don't have a Facebook account and don't know if I should get one. When I first heard about it, I thought it was for teenagers or college students. Then I started to hear about friends of mine who have them, or family members that do. I still thought they were silly to have them. Now I'm learning more and more about it. I can't open my sister's pictures she sends because they are on Facebook. Facebook has been in the news lately and on all the talk shows (then I don't normally watch but I am thanks to maternity leave). All these new regulations Facebook has on your account but I'm told by people it's not a big deal. On Tuesday night, both Fox 9 news and channel 4, had specials about Facebook. They were looking at what is all the hype about, is it addicting, how many friends are too many? I get the "friend" thing. Some people had anywhere from 200-800 friends. Both channels commented that it's like "spying" on other people. Is it? Here is my mom's comment about Facebook: "I hate Facebook." I think she hates that she needs the account to look at pictures and then has no ideas what to do with her account. My sister says, "just get one." My friend from high school says, "get an account so we can e-mail." Why can't she e-mail me on my school account, the only e-mail I have?
Here's my issues with getting an account:
1. Will I become addicted to looking at it? ( I don't have time for this)
2. Do I really want all those "friends"?
3. Will I become curious about people from my past and want to add them as friends just to "spy" on them?
4. I will have to say "no" to some people as friends. ( I only think I want to be friends with people I know and want to know about them.) Meaning: I don't want to add friends to my account who are friends of friends of friends.

The one thing that I would like about Facebook is getting in touch with friends from high school and keeping up with my cousins. So what do you think I should do? To be honest, I know I'm just putting off curiosity and will get the account eventually.

9 comments:

Holly said...

It is kind of like spying, but it's not like you have to put deep, dark personal stuff out there.....and you have to allow people to spy. I have my settings so that only my friends see what I do...and when people ask to friend me and I don't want to, I simply hit "ignore".

I'm glad I'm on it...I only spend lots of time on it when I'm home alone; otherwise I just check it for like five minutes...it's fun. Just do it!

It's been a lot of fun to reconnect with some HS and college friends

TelegaWoman said...

I knew you'd cave! I second Holly's comments!

David and Sarah said...

It's a good thing to have and not necessarily a time waster. I don't log on very often (maybe once a week) but it's good to catch up with old friends. It can be a problem, however, if you start discussing politics etc (like my husband does). Grrr!! We could be friends on facebook:)

Marohl's said...

Thank you ladies for the comments. I would have a lot to learn about it when I DO sign up.

Anonymous said...

DO IT!

Aunie said...

Wow, such a dilema.

Marohl's said...

Some of you are commenting but not voting on my pole!

Marcy Weber said...

Well I have placed my first blog vote. Just do it Beck. People don't have to see what you discuss with pyour friends. Most of my conversstions are using the "send Becky a message option" it's just between you and the person you send to. If you want everyone to see it they can. How is it different than this? Anyone...even people you don't know from any country can look at a blog just by browsing. On FB you have to be accepted as a friend. There are privacy settings to play with. You can even set it up so people aren't able to ask you to be their friends. I do have a blog you know. It's called websgrapevine. My first post was in 2005. Haven't been on there since.

Marcy Weber said...

Wow, my spelling is poor today!